Starting off with the interpretation of the term SEO – Search Engine Optimization, it is a method of optimizing or designing your web pages in a way that boosts their ranking in the search engine result pages. The better you optimize, the better your page will get ranked. The same goes for YouTube videos too – the better you enhance your videos, title, metadata etc. – more will be the visibility of your videos, both within and outside of the YouTube. If you google about any video,
the top video search results displayed would be of YouTube video only. Now you see how powerful is YouTube search engine. The search engine bots fortunately or unfortunately can’t crawl on videos and here the role of texts came into play.
According to the study made by Digital Discovery Networks, the precise and error-free transcripts of the video boost its view results. Not only captioning there are several other components that need to be taken care of in order to increase the chances of your video to going viral in the world of internet. Almost 62 percent of the businesses all over world depend on YouTube to promote their products and
contents. Let us dive further into the pool of YouTube SEO tactics.
Process involved in YouTube SEO
Keyword research is crucial part of optimization techniques. One need to do a proper keyword research of the topic or an SEO agency will perform it on your behalf. Under this technique, the intensive hunt is done for phrases users search in google for the topic you are targeting upon. Before making extensive keyword research – you must know about your customers and the answers they are looking for.
Your website addresses, your services, your products give you a basic set of keywords. Apart from this, there are array of keyword research tools available which give you the average search volume of keywords on monthly basis along with the set of similar keywords. It also gives you keywords according to high and low competition rates. Your web pages don’t merely get ranked on the basis of volume of keywords used but for the placement of right keyword at the right places. With this come the right places to put your keyword – title of the video,
description of the video, tags of your video, file name of your video.
Optimizing the video metadata
After keyword research, the metadata came for your videos rescue. The metadata optimization plays relevant role in the search algorithm. Metadata is the text or information about the contents in your videos. The different elements of video metadata include:
- Video Title – The title should be short, compelling and informative including your top keywords. The bulky or large titles should be avoided here. The YouTube allows you limit of 120 characters for your title, so make sure you utilize those characters wisely – enough to lend that first impression to the
viewers. No doubt, title is a gateway to your video where audience decides whether to enter through it or not.
- Video description – It describes what’s there in your video. It is a body where YouTube allows you with 5000 characters. In the description section, you can also put a transcript of your video for better comprehensibility. After video title, description is the thing what impresses viewers. It should enclose all the valid information instead of using repetitive keywords unnecessarily.
- Video tags – The tags highlight the category your video belongs to. Many people opt for competitor analysis to look for the tags their competitors are using. Appropriate tag lends right people to your page so make sure you use every possible tags not the misleading ones as it can compromise the credibility of the contents in your video. Besides this, the tags need to be shaped properly in order to achieve acceptable indexing of the video.
- Creating a thumbnail – What enhances a house is a welcome doormat. Attractive and striking thumbnail are such doormats that your video needs besides title, description and tags. The click through rate is highly vulnerable to the thumbnail you choose. YouTube also gives you the option to use auto-generated thumbnails. Though it is preferred to go with your
own customized one. The recommended size and ratio for thumbnails are 1280×720 pixels and 16:9 ratio respectively, also in jpg, .gif, .bmp, or .png format.
- Using SRT file – The SRT files comprises of subtitles and closed captions for your videos. Going for the YouTube generated subtitles may not be the best thing to rely upon as they are highly disruptive for your viewers. Your transcriptions play better role in ranking of your videos. The language barriers no longer remain an issue and at the same time the reachability factor gets utilized at its best. You can write or upload already prepared srt file to your videos after you upload it according to the different video
- YouTube cards and Content Delivery – You need to manage and audit your channel too. It can be achieved with a YouTube analytics tool that talks about the engaging rate of viewers on your video. It also let you know the stuff your audience enjoys. The survey of your success can be measured with the timeline of the engagement with the audience. Thanks to the flexibility of tools like Rival IQ which give you a detailed review of your competitors’ YouTube presence. You can see what tags they are using, the volume of particular tag used, the keywords they are using etc. TubeBuddy is another app that help you analyze your channel’s stats to extract insightful information. Talking of YouTube cards, it is a type of call to action. There are five types of cards you can use at the end of your video to increase the visibility of your channel contents – poll card, donation card, link card, playlist card, channel card. Each of them plays a significant role in promoting your content.
Improving User Engagement
YouTube has history of rewarding good ranks to the videos having high watch time and retention rates. In other words, the ranking has high correlation with the quality of your content. The four fronts one need to focus is watch time, user retention, proper marketing, monitoring and improving channel and its contents.
Watch time –
Watch time refers to the amount of time audience spent watching your video. Obviously, the video with more watch time gets ranked best over the videos with low watch time. In case you are wondering let me explain you the real essence behind this term through an example. Suppose you are watching a 12-minute video and you watched it for more than 6 minutes but not completely and left. The next day you watched another 3-minute video on same topic completely. Any guess which video will get ranked best? Yes, the first one. The user is likely to
engage with your videos if you justify the quality, quantity and reliability of the content. The session watch time also plays an important role in user engagement as it tells if a particular user watched how many of your videos in a sequence without leaving.
User Retention –
As said previously, the ranking of video goes well with the supreme quality of your information. Likewise, the interactivity with your audience is another area to concentrate upon. The Likes, Subscriptions, Comments not only allow you to keep watch of positivity and negativity of your content but also gives opportunity to
interact with your audience to further improve your content – boosting your confidence at the same time. A good YouTube channel is something that makes your audience feel understood and heard. Speaking in scientific terms, the no of likes, no of comments, giveaways are directly proportional to user engagement rate.
Another user engagement strategy that proved its effectiveness is promoting or marketing of your YouTube videos. It is said that user retention, keyword research, optimizing metadata fails to bloom expected profit if you have not promoted your videos at the first place. The first thing that click our mind on hearing term promotion is social media platforms like Facebook and Quora. They are indeed the best tool till date. Maintaining the consistency of data uploading and asking your subscribers to share and like, posting high resolution videos will
surely pay off.
Monitoring and Improving –
Some of the metrics YouTube analytics feed you to monitor and improve your videos are unique viewers that tells you correct number of unique visitors, Average views per viewer that tells the average time a unique user spends on your video, Audience Demographics that notifies you of age, location and gender of your viewers. With this you can create content favoring a particular segment of your current audience. Also, you can gear towards writing suitable subtitles
according to the language constraints. You can grow your audience with tools such as Mentionlytics and Google Analytics. You can also use social media monitoring tool like Mention, Brandwatch etc. to keep eye on social interaction.